Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Essien back to Ghana squad

Chelsea midfielder Michael Essien has been recalled by Ghana, marking his return to the international scene after a 16- month absence. Essien is included in coach Goran Stevanovic's 24- man squad for June's Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Congo and a friendly with South Korea. The 28- year-old took an extended break after suffering a series of injuries. Kevin Prince Boateng and Opoku Agyemang have also been recalled after missing earlier qualifiers with injuries. Boateng is in line to make his home debut for Ghana, having made all of his previous appearances outside the country. Essien put his Black Stars career on hold after suffering two serious injuries, the first of which he picked up at the Nations Cup in Angola in January 2010. The midfielder told BBC Sport earlier in May that he had made himself available for selection again after regaining his form with Chelsea. "After the two serious injuries I suffered while playing for my country, I asked permission from the Ghana FA to excuse me from Black Stars duties to allow me to fully recover," he said. "They understood my situation and granted my request because of the injuries I had. "I really want to help my country to qualify for the next year's Africa Cup of Nations so I am ready to join my colleagues." Essien has not played for Ghana since a 45- minute appearance against the Ivory Coast in January 2010. The Black Stars will play Congo on 4 June in Group I of the Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers. They then take on South Korea in a friendly on 7 June.

source: bbc.co.uk

0 comments